The Illawarra Shoalhaven Suicide Prevention Collaborative has released its first Progress Report, summing up a massive year in suicide prevention for the region.
The Collaborative took on the Black Dog Institute's LifeSpan project in 2017 - a new, evidence-based, integrated approach to suicide prevention. Through LifeSpan, the Collaborative has been working on implementing nine strategies with strong evidence for suicide prevention into one community-led approach.
This first Progress Report documents what has been achieved, highlights potential risks and takes stock of whether what the Collaborative are doing is working. It also provides people working in suicide prevention details on how their efforts fit within the 'bigger picture' of the Lifespan project.
Key highlights from the report include:
- by working together, three Collaborative member organisations have established a service that supports people after a suicide attempt, addressing a known gap in suicide prevention in our region
- general practices across the region are introducing universal mental health screening to their practices
- Year 9 students across the region will begin participating in the Youth Aware of Mental Health program, starting in Term 1 of 2018
- over 600 people have signed up to complete Question Persuade Refer (QPR) online training to learn how help prevent suicide
It has been a big year for the Collaborative and this is just the beginning. No doubt, 2018 will be even bigger!
- Invitation: an opportunity for substantial change!
- Working together to deliver quality community training
- Keeping well & staying connected amidst COVID-19 shutdown
- Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM) program kicks off for 2020
- Article: Illawarra suicide prevention head Alex Hains says we all have a role to play
- Nominate someone you know for a LiFE Award today!
- Find support during the bushfires
- Find support for yourself and others during the holidays
- Services for people experiencing homelessness during the holidays
- Applications now open for Innovation Research Grants!
- Development of the NSW LGBTI Health Strategy
- Help us spread the word about suicide prevention
- Have you seen our new Evaluation video?
- Launch of the Collaborative's first Report Card
- Free local suicide prevention training
- Illawarra Mercury receives national media award for 'Care to QPR' campaign
- Join us for the Collaborative's R U OK? Day event!
- Funded placements are still available for health professionals to attend Recovery Camp!
- The power of people with lived experience working together
- Help us spread the word about help available in our region!