Are you passionate about promoting mental health, resilience & help-seeking in young people?
Are you willing to volunteer a small amount of time to help deliver a mental health program in schools?
Then we would love to hear from you!
AN EXCITING OPPORTUNITY TO HELP REDUCE SUICIDE & PROMOTE MENTAL HEALTH IN YOUNG PEOPLE
We are seeking enthusiastic volunteers to help deliver the Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM) program in schools across the Illawarra Shoalhaven. YAM is an evidence-based program which gets young people involved and talking about mental health through roleplay and discussion. It is new to Australia and the Illawarra Shoalhaven will be one of the first regions nationwide to implement this exciting, hands-on program.
You will help deliver the YAM program in partnership with a trained YAM Facilitator.
More information on YAM and its implementation in the Illawarra Shoalhaven can be found on our website:
FREE TRAINING, EXPERIENCE & SATISFACTION
By getting involved you will gain:
- free training in supporting the delivery of an evidence-based mental health program for young people
- experience working in the school environment with groups of young people
- the satisfaction of helping young people address their mental health
A SMALL COMMITMENT
YAM is delivered in 3 parts: 1.5 - 3 hours per week, over 3 consecutive weeks. Altogether, that’s less than one full day’s work! YAM Helpers will help deliver at least two YAM programs across Term 1 and Term 2 (February-June).
For more information on the YAM Helper role, commitment and criteria please click here to view the Position Description.
LET’S GET STARTED!
To express interest in becoming a YAM Helper, please send a brief statement of why you want to be a YAM Helper to the Suicide Prevention Collaborative via email@example.com.
YAM Helper half day training will be held in Kiama on Wednesday 17th January. If you are unavailable for this training just let us know and we will discuss alternative training options.
Closing date: Sunday 3rd December 2017
We look forward to hearing from you!
- Invitation: an opportunity for substantial change!
- Working together to deliver quality community training
- Keeping well & staying connected amidst COVID-19 shutdown
- Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM) program kicks off for 2020
- Article: Illawarra suicide prevention head Alex Hains says we all have a role to play
- Nominate someone you know for a LiFE Award today!
- Find support during the bushfires
- Find support for yourself and others during the holidays
- Services for people experiencing homelessness during the holidays
- Applications now open for Innovation Research Grants!
- Development of the NSW LGBTI Health Strategy
- Help us spread the word about suicide prevention
- Have you seen our new Evaluation video?
- Launch of the Collaborative's first Report Card
- Free local suicide prevention training
- Illawarra Mercury receives national media award for 'Care to QPR' campaign
- Join us for the Collaborative's R U OK? Day event!
- Funded placements are still available for health professionals to attend Recovery Camp!
- The power of people with lived experience working together
- Help us spread the word about help available in our region!